Will Larson, the CTO of Calm, and author of the new book, Staff Engineer: Leadership Beyond the Management Track, joins us to share his research on what a staff engineer actually is and whether or not companies need one.
An Ambiguous Role Is Defined
We’re tackling one of the most ambiguous and subjective roles in the software engineering career path, the Staff Engineer. Many companies don’t even have this role, and the ones that do have a hard time defining exactly what it means. This is, at least, how Will Larson felt after he was tasked with coaching the Staff Engineers at a previous company.
In this episode of Dev Interrupted we discuss:
- The different archetypes of the Staff Engineer role
- Whether or not a purely technical senior roles exists
- The differences between management and leadership
- Strategies for becoming a Staff Engineer and it’s reality
- How to decide if your organization needs a staff engineer role